Ramblings...

Don't know where to begin...
I'm tired and sore.

Today at work (my 2nd day of setting up a new store) I was working in a two person team, setting up shelves. Never mind that I or my Team member never used a hydraulic lift (we learned on the fly). Now the pallet of 13 in wide, 4 ft long shelves stood taller than me and had a slight lean to it. Anyway...I hate when someone asks or tells you something and when you try to answer or explain another person jumps in and sorta kinda chews you out in a nice way...why are you doing it that way?? duh...never mind..getting tired of trying to defend/explain myself to this person. So just nod and look dumb.  Someone else jumped in and moved the pallet across the store for us. Thank you!

I really don't know how to explain the next of what I saw.  Here is the picture...74 year old woman on her knees putting together endless wire baskets, putting in the dividers etc. She also has osteoporosis. This woman usually works 3-4 hours shifts. Now she is working building shelves and planograms for a 9 hour shift (with an hour for lunch). When I saw her at the end of the shift I could hardly look at her. Her face was red and she just didn't look well. But we all have to go through this training as we set up the new store if we want to keep our jobs (a lot of us are from the old store)

Another woman in her late 60's who recently had a cast removed from her broken arm, and bad shoulders was asked to put up shelves that were above her head. And to not work with me and my team member..remember, only two to a team and she made 3. Got out of that by saying I was instructing her how to read the pog and where the shelves went. Later I did go tell the MTL about this 3rd persons physical condition. I was informed that this is going to be labor intense and the MTL will see what she can do after the lunch break. Till then my 3rd person was to just load the bottle carts with the shelves. I said ok..but that will have to wait till the stack is lower.

There is also another woman in her mid 70's  who's husband recently died, doing the same labor intense work. I'm  sore and tired from all the lifting, bending but I am much younger at 53.

I must say about the two ladies in their mid 70's, they worked faster than the young girl that was working with them! This makes me proud of those two women and ashamed of the young girl.

I have said I dumb down when I am no longer an MOD..I sure did and some of my Team mates are not happy. I keep telling them to call or ask an MOD. Some were still calling me "boss", I would reply no I'm not your boss. Some team members are happy/sad. Happy now I can hang with them and it won't be against company policy! lThese kids are my kids ages! And sad that I lost some income and that I am not one of their managers anymore.

Anyway..today I can say my spirit was almost broken, I almost didn't speak up for the one lady with the bad shoulders. But I did and I felt good helping someone, then went and found the others that were not used to this type of labor and "checked up on them".

I am determined to not let this break my spirit but to make me stronger.

ttfn


Comments

  1. hope tomorrow is a better day......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh the joys of retail in a world where nobody really cares anymore. I hope things get better for you there once the store is set up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. DH is an abuser. He likes to abuse people. Especially older women. My heart aches for these ladies, I fear it is only going to get worse. His parents must be so ashamed. That is probably why they sent him to the other side of the country.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Dad - Birthday and Surgery

Dogs....