Reflection

I'm now sharing what I wrote down back in July 2017.


July 24, 2017 was my Dad's 83rd birthday. For me was a day of mixed feelings.

Being Blessed by:

Still having my Dad around
Being able to celebrate with him and Vanessa on his birthday
Eating chocolate cake (his favorite) and getting loose poops the 2nd day of cake ;)
Making him one of his favorite meals: Hot dogs and baked beans with a few chips.
To read to him his birthday card from my Aunt Kathy, my Dad's sister-in-law.. the wife of my Dad's younger brother who watches over us now. And I'm sure Uncle Paul is cheering his older brother on from the heavens.

About the card: thank you from my whole heart, (not just the bottom), Aunt Kathy for sending that card. When it arrived with the mail, I showed Dad the card. He set the card where he could see it every time he sat at the dining table, un-opened. Then on his birthday, I saw him take the card after breakfast and open it so carefully. He looked it over and then handed it to me to read. He had such love in his eyes. I was on the verge of tears.  I gave him a card that night with the gift and cake from Vanessa and I. He was soo happy.

This reflection is not to shame anyone, just to let everyone, anyone know that just because a person who has Aphasia and their speech is hard to understand (even for me..we use hand gestures and I pretty much know his routine and what he likes so I can guess what he is trying to communicate, not always the correct guess.)

My Dad still has feelings and a sharp mind for an 83 year old, still loves his Raiders, little kids, animals, loves wild colorful hair and tattoos (even on strangers and tells them so). Of course loves the cute ladies.  We tease, Dad and all his girlfriends, still the flirt, him and my Mom! :)  Loves his family (he knows you are all busy and living your lives and still loves you for that).

His "visit" with you will be a hand holding, a hug, an I love you, an encrypted question on how your partner is doing or your kids or grand-kids (he knows).

About the birthday cards, neatly back in their envelopes, where he can see them every time he sits at the dining table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramblings...

My Dad - Birthday and Surgery

Dogs....